Sunday 5 February 2012

Secrets Can't be Held For Long

The constant ringing woke her up. Somehow in the night she had managed to crawl into the house and get into the bed, without remembering a thing. She sat up and yawned slowly.
"I'm coming." She whispered at the phone, annoyed that it had the gall to wake her up from a peaceful slumber.


She stood up, slightly disoriented and wobbly and proceeded to trudge toward the phone.
"Hello." She said, in a monotonous, displeased voice.




"Hi." It was a woman who, Susanna guessed, sounded like she was from Strangetown.
"Who am I talking to?" Susanna said, bluntly.
"Davina. Dan's -- Uh --  friend. Who is this?"
"Susanna. Dan's out right now. Can I take a message?" Susanna tried to be as polite as possible. She assumed it was one of Dan's nerdy workmates inviting him out for a round of drinks.
"Susanna? You his sister or summin?" She sounded generally curious, which startled Susanna as she would have expected Dan to speak about her.
"I'm his wife" She replied slightly ticked off that she wasn't known among his friends.




"WIFE?" The volume of the exclamation was so intense that Susanna almost dropped the phone. She put the phone back to her ear and calmly spoke.
"Yes, does that bother you?" There was a long pause on the phone and Susanna wondered if they had been disconnected, but then finally a voice sounded.
"He - he never told me about you. I - I'm so sorry." Susanna didn't understand why she was apologizing, and it took her longer than it should have to realise what was going on.
"Wait - You and him?" She couldn't finish the sentence and was almost thankful when Davina quickly but shyly replied.




"A couple nights ago." Susanna couldn't and didn't want to believe what she was hearing. She felt a sudden rush of lightheadedness pass over her, and it took a moment for her to gain her focus again.
"I'm sorry. I wouldn't have if I knew about - well - about you." Susanna realised that this other woman, Davina, was telling the truth and she couldn't be angry at her, she hadn't known any better.
"It's fine. Don't worry about a thing. It's not your fault. You didn't know. So we're cool." Susanna was desperately trying to make this Davina feel better, but she felt her words were coming out somewhat plaintive.




"Thanks. Can you just tell him one thing." Davina sounded distraught.
"Sure. Anything."
"I'm pregnant."
-------------------


All Susanna heard was the phone line's constant ring after that. She sat down with the phone still to her ear. Her head burned more the deeper she thought about it.
"Pregnant?!" She whispered into the ghostly air around her.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------




"So then I said. 'Look, Honey. There are only two things in the world that I truly care about. My welfare and Amy. Don't you ever forget that!' She left. Straight. Away. The look on her face was brilliant!"


Dan listened to Marc's story intently.


"Hmm. I'm sure." However his distant voice told a different story.


"Dan. What's up. You've been like this all day."


Dan couldn't deny it. His mind was practically destroyed since last night. The frustration in her eyes. Her beautiful eyes. They had been plastered into his mind. 


"Susanna." He said quietly, trying not to make eye contact with Marc, as he winced.




"She's a handful, she is." Marc sneered, hardly sympathetic towards Dan.


Dan yanked his head back towards Marc. "I know you've had your episodes, but come on! You've both moved on. Can't you just accept that now and help a friend in need."


"She's not my problem anymore. I just can't help you here. But at least I can know the gossip. Hm?" 


Dan sighed slowly looking at the ceiling. "I - I had an af-," Dan paused, "It just happened so quickly. I wish it didn't-," He trailed off, then quickly added,"Happen, I mean. I wish it didn't happen."


"Dan, that's shallow," Marc's voice was cold, but also gentle.




"Yeah," Dan sighed, "I know."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"This is what I get? For plumbob's sake, Dan! You lied to me!" Dan was sure that if Susanna's voice was any louder, he'd go deaf.

"What?" Surely she couldn't know about what happened.

"Davina. That's what. You lied to both of us!"


Several question's were going through his head, 'How did she know about Davina?', 'What does she know?', 'When did she find out?'. But he just ended up blurting out, 

"I never lied to her!"

"So you admit lying to me. Wouldn't be the first time." Susanna scowled.




"I'm sorry, okay." He spat, more frustration in his words than sympathy and regret.


"She's pregnant, Dan, PREGNANT," She screamed that. Dan wanted to curl up and hide. He'd never seen Susanna like this. She took a deep breath in and sighed heavily, "And so am I." 


Tears started to well up in her eyes. She felt weak, vulnerable and defeated by herself.


"I want you out Dan." She almost whispered the words, her hand covering her mouth and her eyes glistening with teardrops.


"But -" Dan was quick to answer, but speedily interrupted.


"No But's Dan. Out. Now."


He decided that was probably best. He'd let her cool down, then he'd come apologize. He turned around and trudged towards the door, his head drooping as is his neck had given up supporting it, which, in a way it had.


"Bye then." He murmured and he passed through the door.




The door slammed close. The only sound left was the quiet sobbing coming from the sofa, otherwise there was silence.


So I'm just gonna tell you that I'm trying to post as often as I can. But, life is hectic and work must be done. I'll try to get the next episode out in 2 weeks, plus some character Bios. But until then...


Adios Amigos ;3

No comments:

Post a Comment